Digital Campaigner, Democracy Initiative
About the Democracy Initiative
The Democracy Initiative (DI), a one of a kind, coalition of 68 progressive organizations representing over 45 million members from the environmental, civil rights, and workers’ rights movements. Together, the DI partners educate and mobilize their members to create demand for democracy reform across the country. Through grassroots organizing, leader training and close partner collaboration the DI is developing leaders among community stakeholders, particularly people of color, women, young people, and working class. The DI works to elevate the democracy reform while building and sustaining a grassroots base of support for a stronger democracy, 365 days a year.
The DI seeks a highly energetic and creative Digital Campaigner to plan, write content, organize and execute DI’s online advocacy and outreach efforts around local and state democracy reform campaigns, including voting rights, money in politics, and redistricting. Working at the DI offers an exciting opportunity to be at the center of the intersectional struggle for democracy.
The Digital Campaigner will report to the Campaign Director and work closely with the DI staff, in addition to collaborating with the communications staff at DI partner organizations.
The Digital Campaigner has the responsibility to plan and implement online campaigns through digital platforms including our website and its properties, strategic email outreach, social media, and emerging platforms to recruit, engage and mobilize the members of our coalition. The successful candidate should have digital campaign experience and an understanding for field organizing, including how to integrate grassroots organizing and online/digital advocacy. The Digital Campaigner must be a self-starter, able to craft digital and online advocacy strategies, and work independently. Applicants should be able to write quickly and have experience writing advocacy emails, blogs, website copy, and social media content. Successful applicants will have basic knowledge of coding and graphic design.
The Digital Campaigner should be able to move quickly in producing compelling content timed for maximum impact and demonstrate a grasp of approaches to test the effectiveness of digital strategies and narratives. The individual will manage the DI’s national Facebook account, website, email outreach, Twitter account(s), and other platforms, to promote our campaigns, reframe the public debate on democracy issues, and engage our social media followers.
- At least 4 years of experience as a digital communications specialist, with experience in grassroots strategic campaigns, coalition building, engaging local stakeholders or electoral campaigns.
- Graphic design and production experience.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Creative, flexible and strategic.
- Independent focused and self-motivated with the willingness to work long hours including nights and weekends with the ability to travel.
- Strong communication, interpersonal and administrative skills
- Reflect the values of progressive social change principles.
Additional Skills or Qualifications
- Strong knowledge of and relationships within the democracy or labor community
- Experience with movement and coalition building.
- Experience working and coordinating with field organizers, consultants and vendors
- Demonstrated experience with content management systems and eCRMs required.
- Bi-lingual a plus.
Salary & Benefits
Salary Range $50,000 - $60,000 Excellent benefit package.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to email@example.com Please note in the subject line the specific position for which you are applying.
The Democracy Initiative is an equality opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, or marital status in employment.