Phone banking is a great way to talk to people in your community about same day registration. Follow these key steps to organize a successful phone bank, and check our sample script below.
- Choose a location that has everything you need. Make sure you have access to phones, places to charge mobile phones, materials for keeping track of your calls, and necessities like bathrooms and parking for your volunteers.
- Recruit volunteers. They can be your friends, family, and neighbors, people from your church or your workplace - anyone who wants to help protect your state’s democracy! Make sure to send out reminders before the event so they know where and when to show up.
- Prepare materials ahead of time. You will need:
- Call lists: Pull names and phone numbers from petitions you’ve circulated, organizations in your coalition, or groups in your community (i.e. church, parent-teacher associations, etc.).
- A call script: Fill in the blanks in the sample below for a script that your volunteers can use while making their calls.
- Snacks! If your location allows it, make sure to bring refreshments for your volunteers.
- Help your volunteers get to know each other! Encourage volunteers to introduce themselves and talk about why they are volunteering before you begin.
- Keep a record. Write down who you’ve talked to, who supports same day registration, and who wants to get involved with the campaign.
- Debrief. At the end, take the time to reflect with your volunteers and talk about highs, lows, and ways you can improve.
Hi! My name is [Name]. I’m from [City/Town], and I’d like to talk to you about same day registration. Do you know what same day registration is?
Same day registration is a program that allows people to register and vote at the same time on Election Day. To make sure our voices are heard, we need to register as many people who are eligible to vote as possible, and same day registration is simple, convenient, and consistently successful in engaging more people in our democracy.
- Do you support same day registration for [State name]?
- Would you be interested in joining the fight to pass same day registration in our state?
- Would you be interested in receiving email or mail updates on our campaign to pass same day registration? [If yes, record contact information]
- Would you be interested in contributing to our campaign?