You can take a lot of different actions to fight for automatic voter registration. For example, when the Secretary of State organized public hearings for the Oregon New Motor Voter program, the Bus Project turned people out to attend and testify at hearings. They used this signup form, talked about the hearings on their blog here and here, and promoted the hearings on twitter and using a facebook event.
Actions can be as simple as calling your state’s elected officials or as complicated as turning people out to attend a hearing. You could:
- Call your state legislators or organize a phone banking event;
- Circulate a petition among members of your community;
- Send a postcard to your elected officials;
- And more!
The materials listed below can help you get started taking action in your community.
- Calling Elected Officials
- Phone Banking in Your Community
- Sample Petition
- Sample Sign-On Letter
- Sample Action Alert
- Writing to Elected Officials
Remember: we’re here to help. If you’re mobilizing in your state, let us know!